The Victoria Thompson and NUIG Foundation Scholarships 2020 – 2021
Applications are now invited for The Victoria Thompson Scholarship 2020 – 2021. This Scholarship is exclusively open to first year and current students undertaking the NUI Galway/UCD MSC in Health Sciences (Children’s palliative care and complex care programme). Deadline for applications is 10th January 2021.
The winner of this award will receive €2,000 funding towards course fees.
The scholarship is awarded in memory of Victoria Thompson, who was nine months old when she died in June 2012. Victoria was born with a rare, life-limiting condition requiring palliative care.
We are grateful to The NUIG Foundation who have kindly agreed to provide a second scholarship for €2,000 to another student undertaking this course.
Applicants for both scholarships are invited to write an overview (800 words) outlining how this programme will assist them to develop their practice in specialist nursing for children’s palliative care/complex care. All applications will be anonymised and undergo a panel review. The panel decision is final.
The panel members:
Sharon Thompson, Director of The Victoria Thompson Foundation
Dr Julie Ling, CEO of the European Palliative Care Association
Dr Laura Dempsey, Lecturer, Athlone Institute of Technology
The panel decision is based on the overall quality of the application, taking into account;
- the rationale, clarity and professionalism of the proposal
- the direct, practical benefit to the child and their families.
- research or academic relevance to own course work
- relevance to the principles of palliative care for children.
- layout and presentation of the application
The scholarship is awarded to the candidate who, in the opinion of the panel, demonstrates:
- their understanding of children’s palliative care
- the issues that arise in the care of children with palliative needs
- their commitment to this field of nursing
- their enthusiasm, motivations, understanding and experiences of children’s palliative care
The scholarship must be acknowledged in any academic publication/promotion.
Deadline for applications is 10th January 2021.
Completed applications for both scholarships should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org